Lone Cyprus

Lone Cyprus

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Lowdown on the Stem Cell Showdown

I received the transplant info and I promised to share so here ya go! The date to begin is scheduled for Tuesday September 8th and we'll head up to Chicago the day before. So, here is the general schedule for the transplant:

Sept 8-18 -- Outpatient daily testing including but not limited to, Pulmonary Function Test, Chest CT Scan, Right Heart Cath, dental exam, vein check, Heart Echo, and something like 5 zillion blood tests. There will also be other tests, but I'm not sure what they all are. Basically, they are going to check every inch of my body, inside and out. Sounds fun, eh?

Sept 21 -- I will be admitted to the hospital for mobilization chemotherapy. I will receive the chemo and then be discharged the next day. Within 5 days after mobilization I will begin taking Neupogen injections daily for 6 days.

Oct 1 -- This is stem cell harvest day. I will get a catheter in my jugular vein to pull out my stem cells. If there are not enough stem cells collected this day, they will repeat the harvest the next day.

Oct 3- Oct 21 -- THIS IS THE BEST PART!! I get to go home for almost three weeks! I had no idea this was the case and I am soooo happy about it. I won't feel bad yet and I'll get more time with my family and friends before I do!

Oct 22 - Nov 7 -- On the 22nd I'll be admitted and begin chemotherapy. I will receive chemo for 5 consecutive days. The sixth day, which would be Oct 27, is transplant day! I'll get my stem cells back, then we wait for my immune system to rebuild itself. Anticipated discharge date is Nov 7. It is possible and likely that I won't come home immediately following discharge as I will likely have to be close to the hospital for at least a week for check ups.

I am glad that we anticipate being done and home before Thanksgiving and I pray that remains the case. I have no desire to spend the holidays in the hospital! I have lots of things planned for myself in the next 2 1/2 weeks before I head to Chicago. The nervousness and anxiety are ever present, but I am confident that I am equipped with who I need around me and what I need inside me to successfully fight my way through. I can't promise I won't whine or complain or vent along the way, but I promise to try my best to keep the goal in sight. Thank ya for readin' and followin' and prayin' and lettin' me know I'm loved. And now I'm off to pack for my very first trip ever to the Indiana State Fair...yeah, that's right. Be jealous.

1 comment:

  1. Beth,

    Your strenght and attitude are awesome. My family will be praying for you every step of the way. I look forward to seeing you in the next couple of weeks and then hopefully when you are home during your slight break. Keep up the great attitude!

    ReplyDelete