Lone Cyprus

Lone Cyprus

Monday, August 31, 2009

My new, old love

I have had this series of long term relationships over the years. With music, not with men. Since the time I've been old enough to choose what I listen to on my own, I've dated several different genres. I tend to listen to only one 'kind' of music at a time, with maybe just a little sprinkling of others in the mix. Most of my teen years were spent listening to top 40 Pop stuff. Then I had a very long love affair with Christian music that lasted from college through the time I started Grad school. I even had a short fling with jazz while I was in Seminary. About three or four years ago, I had my first relationship with Country music. It lasted about a year and then quickly faded into a love for hip/hop and R&B. During this summer, my love affair with Country music has been reignited.


I've been a little better this time with dating around and including other types in the mix, but mostly, my car radio, my Pandora stations and my MP3 player stay on Country tunes. As silly as this might sound, Country music reminds me of home. Yes, I realize that I quite literally live at home. But there is just something comfortable and familiar about the melodies and music of Country. I think it's one of the few genres of music that can make you feel the entire spectrum of emotions.


It's possible that this rekindled love was influenced by the 8 or 10 trips to Nashville I took this summer. I took advantage of each, and although I experienced other types of music there, was most impressed by the Country. So I admit I was one of the last to know Sugarland was going to be in concert in Nashville this past weekend. I've been a fan of Sugarland since their first album, although during my hiatus from Country music, missed an album or two in the middle. Anyway, if there is ONE group I'd want to see in concert, Sugarland would be the one. The Nashville show sold out quick, I'm sure since they were playing with Keith Urban. But cool as my dad is, he hooked me up with a pair of tickets to go anyway. I packed my clothes and grabbed one of my favorite people in the whole world and headed to the show on Saturday.


Our seats were not good. Really, they were in the top section. Thankfully we were facing the stage so our view was clear...just VERY far away. Surprisingly, I didn't care. Neither did Claire. From the first note of the first song until the last, we were caught up. There were even tears a couple times throughout their performance. It was such a great experience. I can't remember the last time I just felt that happy and carefree. The thing is, this wasn't just a concert of a band I like that I went to with a friend. It was a lot more than that. It represented some of my favorite things in the world and I got to experience them in what felt like perfection. Not a night I'll soon forget.
So, my relationship with Country music continues although we aren't exclusive. I'm still dating around and may never commit to just one, but Country remains the frontrunner for the months to come. I look forward to many more happy times together.



No comments:

Post a Comment