Lone Cyprus

Lone Cyprus

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Family

For the past week, my heart has been especially heavy. There's no denying some sadness and fear exist but even more prevalent is the increasing awareness of the necessity of family. My feelings and beliefs about family, including their purpose and specific roles in my life have been pushed to the front of my heart and mind. I understand that we don't choose who our family members are. I didn't pick out my mom or my dad, brother or sisters. They were given to me. It is no accident that we're connected. I feel this includes all of my extended family as well. Look, I'm not crazy, I realize every member of your immediate and extended family won't be your best friend. You may not even like some of them. That's ok. But I will say this, now more than ever, I appreciate and understand the gift of family. I have taken advantage over the past several months, and even more so the last week, of connecting with and beginning friendships with many cousins, aunts and uncles that I have not been close to since childhood. The warmth, comfort, love and happiness this has added to my life is welcome and cherished.

I have been blessed with much. I have great step-parents, step-siblings, nieces and nephews, a hilarious and loving grandma and many long-time friends who are like family to me. And man, my immediate family? My mom, my dad, my brother and two sisters...they are my constant. They are always on my side, always loving me, defending me, encouraging me, looking out for me, and laughing with me. I cannot and do not want to imagine it any other way. My parents are amazing and my siblings truly are my best friends.

My older sister, Kristi, is the nurturer, the one I can count on to encourage me and check on me when I'm sick. She's who I call when I can't sleep and where I stop when I want easy company. She's always there. Although she's five years older, she always listens to me and respects my thoughts and opinions. She thinks they're important. Although I realize there's no such thing as perfection, I look up to her as a wife and a mother and in my eyes her flaws are few.

Jarrod is two years older than me and he's the big brother every girl should have. He is truly one of my favorite people on the planet to hang out with and I dare you to try to find someone cooler. You can't. I have always admired him and wanted to be like him. He joined the swim team in high school, so did I. He learned to play guitar, so did I. He went to ISU for college, so did I. He got involved in the Baptist campus ministry, so did I. He got his PhD and is a research scientist, so...I went another direction. :) He's my realist. He'll talk facts with me and let me feel what I feel. We can talk sports, family, religion, politics, current events or just make fun of any and everything. It's simple really. He likes me. And I feel lucky.

My little sister, Carin isn't actually little anymore. She's 2 years behind me and our relationship is the one that has evolved and changed the most over the past few years. I used to think we were very different, but now I see that's not true at all. We're a lot a like. We're both emotional and sensitive. We're both smart and a little sassy. (Her more than me, of course.) And I can always count on Carin to defend me and rise up to fight for me. The great thing is, I can also count on her to cry with me if I need and she never fails to remind me of my worth. She's the pesky little sister that's grown into a best friend.

Then there's my Dad. I confess my Dad and I have only grown close over the past few years. He's always been around and available but I've also always been away or running around. His love for me is great and I've never known that more than I do now. Since I've settled here, I've gotten to know my Dad as more than just my daddy but as a man too. Everyone loves my Dad and now I can see all the reasons why. He's funny and genuine. He's generous and full of life. He's the kind of guy who would own a successful restaurant and stand out back, cooking on a Friday night surrounded by all his friends who just want a fun, welcoming place to hang. Hmm...sounds familiar.

My mom may be mentioned last but she'll never be the least. My mom is supermom. She has loved me beyond measure. She has accepted me and supported me. Rescued me and let me go when needed. She has allowed me to be who I am and although it has likely been hard at times, she tries not to question too much. She taught me to love, respect and accept others and her example of a strong, smart woman is not lost on me. She has sacrificed much more than I deserve and there aren't words to describe the love this daughter has for her momma.

Not everyone has what I have. I know this. But there is absolutely no time like the present to think on and share your love for the people in your family. These gifts of mine are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment