Lone Cyprus

Lone Cyprus

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Project Stem Cell Transplant: Day Three

There was going to be no blog today. I planned to go to bed early but have laid down twice to try to fall asleep and can't. I have to be at the hospital for a heart cath in 8 hours and I guess I'm feeling a little nervous. I figured writing about it might ease the anxiety a little. I keep thinking that after tomorrow morning, I'll be officially through my first week of tests. Feels like it's gone really fast.

This morning I had an MRI of my heart done. Lots of the tests I'm having done are to check and double check the condition of my heart. Dr. Burt explained the other day that the heart is uniquely important in transplants for Scleroderma patients. He says it's very important there's not damage or decreased function or we won't be able to go ahead with the transplant. So far, so good though. I've had a CT scan and stress echo and both seem fine. When they get the results from the MRI and the heart cath and then I meet with the cardiologist next week, we'll know for sure. P.S. The MRI was no fun. This was my first and I wouldn't be upset if it were my last!

The MRI took so long we had to hurry to my dentist appointment. I'm having my mouth and teeth checked because the mouth is one of the most vulnerable places for infection and they needed to make sure there were no causes for concern. I checked out OK, which better have been the case considering I feel like I spent the summer at the dentist getting work done! Something I got really excited about is the dentist I saw happens to be particularly interested in Scleroderma and has a very good understanding of what patients with this disease deal with. She was so kind and took the time to personally make me some custom toothbrushes that are easier to hold! Since my grip is not good and I can't close my hands all the way, she molded some acrylic to the handle of the toothbrushes to make them easier to use. They're so great and it helps a lot!

I had to hurry over to my appointment for my vein check after that. Mostly all that means is someone explained to me that during harvesting, I'd have to get a catheter put in my jugular vein to remove the stem cells. I already knew this, but she educated me and my mom on what to expect and how the day would go. The nurse was a funny lady and after weighing me told me that I should take this time in my life to be thankful that I'm not a size 5. Apparently, women with quote, "a little meat on their bones" have an easier time with harvest and usually only take about 4 hours opposed to 7. So, indeed I am thankful to not be a waif.

As I sit here and think back on this week, I definitely feel worn out. It's been rough at times. But I did it. Everytime I'd be in some uncomfortable position or forced to wait forever or someone has been rude and the thought to say "just forget it" has crossed my mind, I dismissed it and pressed on. (And believe me, those thoughts have come frequently.) Although I had no idea I'd be a pin cushion quite like this, with one stick from a blood draw and 3 IVs in 3 days, they've all been done with no problem. I guess the bottom line is, this isn't fun, as I knew it wouldn't be, but it's bearable. I can do this. At least I have my mom. And Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator. What else do I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment