Lone Cyprus

Lone Cyprus

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Project Stem Cell Transplant: Day One

Ok, so I'm tired already and we just started today! I spent about 8 hours at the hospital getting all kinds of fun things done. I got to meet with Kristin, the nurse liason for the stem cell program. She's great and she sat with us for about an hour and explained the whole process and what to expect during each phase. Some things seem way less scary now and some things are more concerning.

I had labs next. They needed 18 vials of blood for testing. EIGHTEEN. Ridiculous. It was smooth sailing with no problems at all.

After the labs I had to go to yet another floor and department to get an EKG. The test was quick and painless and not really noteworthy at all. What WAS noteworthy was the walk into the department. A lady about 3 times the size of me using a walker on wheels was called back just before me. Instead of waiting for a tech to come open the door for her, she attempts to pull the door open (which opens toward her) on her own. I'm just behind her and see that she's having a hard time so I step up right behind her and try to grab the door to help so she can pass through. Just as she tries to move backward out of the way, she loses her balance and falls into me, pinning me against the wall. I'm holding all of this lady's weight on me for a good 30 seconds before a tech gets there to help her gain her balance again. That was fun. Actually when I think back, it probably looked hilarious. Wish I would have seen it instead of being involved.

Then the real fun came! I waited for an hour and 30 minutes to get several xrays and scans done. I'm normally fine with the waiting. I understand things get backed up but I was in a hospital gown and it was freezing. I had a chest xray, a CT scan of my chest, sinuses, abdomen and pelvic area. I was told before that I wouldn't have to get an IV, but of course I get to the waiting room and they call me back to get one. I consider that minor compared to the nasty Barium drink I had to down. Three bottles of that stuff in an hour. Simply put, it was gross. So really, I can't say I love being in the radiology department.

It's been a long exhausting day. Running around the hospital to different appointments with different demands at each will wear you out! I feel better after getting to eat and take a bath (in the jetted tub!) and relax. I am very grateful for one lesson I've learned while here though. I'll save you the visual, but last night I learned that bathtub jets can be powerful enough to basically flood the bathroom. Good to know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth Ann. I met your sister this summer at 4-H and I know your Mom from PCMH. I will be thinking about you and praying for you. My son had a autologous stem cell transplant in July 2006 at age 3 for treatment of aggressive cancer. Today, he remains in remission and is a happy, healthy first grader. I can tell you are a positive person and have a lot of support, and that will help you tremendously!! One sweet day at a time.
    Sincerely,
    Shannon Labhart

    ReplyDelete